Students and staff performed acts including singing, hula hooping and Beat Saber
BY BRENNA KHIEV and CHLOE LANE, STAFF WRITERS
The National Honors Society (NHS) held the annual Variety Show on April 7 from 7-9:30 p.m. in the Sanford Performing Arts Center, and the entertainment did not disappoint.
Notable crowd favorites included Shaun Rowe’s breakdancing act that got people cheering and out of their seats, Arianna Spiller’s adaptation of “In My Head” from Bedroom, as well as Simon Alipalo’s performance getting the whole left side of the PAC to chant the lyrics to “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars.
The Variety Show is an annual fundraiser hosted by NHS that showcases student, staff and teacher talents. Funds are raised through admission costs, concessions and raffle tickets.
Some minor hiccups included Gavin Smith’s keyboard technical difficulties, Mrs. Raymond failing to catch her hula hoop mid-performance, the MC’s confusing Valerie Randall for her sister Katrina Randall and Brenna Khiev’s guitar amp needing to be substituted due to a missing power cable. But, nothing a little crowd encouragement couldn’t fix.
The setlist included:
- Paul Auger: Singing “Ukraine National Anthem”
- Wyatt Flinkstrom: U.S National Anthem and “Eruption” by Van Halen on guitar
- Katrina Randall: Singing “On My Own” from “Les Misérables”
- Gavin Smith: Playing “Water Lilies” by Herman Beeftink on piano
- John-Paul Alexander: Comedic Stories feat. Jaylyn Bartolome
- Sierra Briggs: Singing “Finish Line” by Skillet
- Anthony: playing “Nothing Else Matters” by Metallica on guitar
- Laila Adawadkar: Singing “Seasons of Love” from “Rent”
- Shaun Rowe: Break dancing
- Ceili Owens: Beat Saber to “Follow Me” by Tryhardninja
- Brenna Khiev: Singing and guitar for “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne blindfolded!
- Valerie Randall: Singing “Hero” by Mariah Carey
- Jennifer Raymond: Hula Hooping
- Ariana Spiller: Guitar and singing “In My Head” adapted from Bedroom
- Emma Adawadkar: Singing “World on Fire” by Sarah McLachlan
- Shaun Rowe: Beatboxing and poetry
- Simon Alipalo: Playing “When I Was Your Man” by Bruno Mars on piano
- Leila Adawadkar, Olivia Martin and Ali Machinski: Singing “I Dreamed a Dream” from “Les Misérables”
- Jackson Lyles: Playing drums to a metal medley
Raffle prizes included rewards from local businesses such as Frannie’s Mini Donuts, Jazz Tappin’ Dance Academy, Carly T. Photography and more. All money raised goes to NHS.
Tickets were $3 for students and seniors and $5 for adults.
Below are some photos provided by event photographer Camille Alipalo.